Friday, March 20, 2020

Introducing Spaghetti Code School - let's teach kids to program!

This post is going to be quite different from my previous ones - I'm not going to address a specific technological challenge, not even tongue in cheek. No, this time I'm going to put forward a way to make the world a better place!

I've long been splitting my time between my day jobs (building software and teaching others to do so) and volunteering, which has been centered around advocating critical thinking and improving fact-based science education. I've focused my charity work on education and rational thinking as I came to realize that this is how my modest efforts would have the strongest impact on the world. How I came to this conclusion is a matter for another time.

Lately, there has been one other major demand on my time - I have little kids. Enough said. If I may say so myself, I've been a very dedicated father, spending time with my kids whenever I get a chance, reading every article and book about parenting I can get my hands on (only evidence-based, of course!) and trying out with my kids anything that seems to be a good practice.

My children have also been actively involved with various extracurricular activities - you know, the usual: sports, music, arts - at ages 2 and 4 it's all really playtime with different themes. Then, one day, I thought - isn't it already time to introduce programming? Teaching my kids to code is the most valuable skill I can give them to prepare them for life in the 21st century

And then it struck me. It may sound obvious in hindsight but to this moment I hadn't realized that I combine my 3 strongest passions (programming, volunteering, parenting) in one activity: a coding school for little kids! Thus, the idea behind the spaghetti code school was born.

What is Spaghetti Code School?

The concept is aimed at kids from 3 to 7 years and is centered around one simple moto: Programming without a computer
Without a computer? Yes, it's possible! This probably raises two questions: why and now.

Why?

Study after study shows that kids thrive better the less time they spend in front of screens - any screens, even these cool looking education games and TV shows that do help your kids learn to count and read come with a host of downsides, from hindering the development of social skills to increasing the risk of obesity. Teaching kids to program is not about introducing them to technology early on - they will be fluent users of gadgets without our help, thank you very much. We want to help kids develop the skills needed for programming without gluing them in front of a computer.

How?

Programming is really about learning conceptualize what you want the computer to do and breaking it down into small, unambiguous instructions. The key pillar of the code school is the "live coding" session - I myself will take on the role of the computer that will execute the kids instructions and I will give them an instruction set that will let them program me! We'll start with the basics, like make a step to the left, turn around and clap and we'll get all the way to loops and recursion. The idea is to translate all these complicated sounding programming concepts into the language kids understand best - play.

There will also be story time, where we'll read children's books that illustrate programming concepts, for instance this one: https://www.amazon.com/How-Code-Sandcastle-Josh-Funk/dp/0425291987

Finally, we'll have a selection of toys that develop various analytical skills - from humble shape sorters for the little ones to 3D puzzles for the grade schoolers. 

Where do I sign up?

We are looking for volunteers to fill in the first class English speaking class, starting in Autumn 2020 in Brussels. An additional locations, should there be in interest and local support, can also be setup in Sofia and London. Interested? Like the facebook page and send us a message:

Once the concept is proven I'm also happy to help setup other locations around Europe.

How can I help?

In many ways, thanks for asking! We need:
  • English-speaking kids who like to play
  • A location in Brussels where we can hold a 6-kid 1.5 hour class twice a month
  • Wannabe assistants 
  • Ideas for techniques, resources, books
  • Enthusiasts to spread the word

No comments: